Direct, personal engagement is how the BURN2 community develops. Make a difference. Participate! Our BURN2 teams are tasked with specific areas of responsibility, listed below. All of these teams are staffed by volunteers. Volunteering is a way to challenge yourself by being part of a burner community and culture. Come develop BURN2 with us as a participant. Bring your skills and learn new ones with us. Want to be a part of BURN2? Fill out the volunteer application to tell us how you would like to volunteer. We can also use your submission to help match you to a department. Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you. We meet every Thursday at 9:00 pm SLT outside our Gerlach office at BURN2, where we collaborate on our events and our community.
- Press releases, website content, social media postings, inworld group notices, and event information is created or supported through this department. The communications team sends out news and information to the BURN2 and Second Life communities. They host Press Days, meeting the press in-world to provide them with event information and do their part to share burner culture.
- Department of Mutant Vehicles
- Each year, the BURN2 community creates wonderful and wacky Mutant Vehicles for our events. Event participants use them to explore and move around on the playa. Why not create beautiful and crazy vehicles – themselves works of art – to go out and explore all the other art the playa has to offer?
- Infrastructure Crew
- This crew includes the builders of the Man and Center Camp. Sometimes we need other structures as well. The crew often cross-builds and some take on a specific build that have become our traditions on the playa. Help us create places to celebrate, play, contemplate and explore. Scripters, texture makers, sculptures and basic prim builders are all needed to help build a little city out in the middle of nowhere with nothing but playa as the backdrop.
- The Lamplighters are a long-held tradition at BURN2. They are an independent group, collaborating with BURN2 and Burning Man, bringing the fire to events in virtual worlds. They select the Temple build team for the annual October event and oversee its construction, ensuring that is is built according to specific guidelines. Lamplighters pave the way at the start of events. Lamplighters exemplify the wonderful burner culture that we share. Moving along the procession routes, they encourage us to participate with them, and celebrate art and fire on the playa. Interested in joining this group? Contact one of the Lamplighter Elders inworld: iSkye Silverweb, Freia Guillaume, Dream Wrexan and Apollo Manga.
- Greeters and the Greeting Station is what we have developed to help event goers get acclimated to the playa. They help newcomers to the playa to understand a bit more of what BURN2 is all about. It’s where everyone gets started for a great burn. They share welcome gifts with residents along with their greeter charms.
- They find great performances of all kinds or they find us. Stage Hosts help performers develop an understanding of the Ten Principles and ensure things run as smoothly as possible. Being a Stage Host is a great way to participate and enjoy the shows.
- Event Lead
- This is not really a department, but a role that can be filled by different people for different events. In its capacity as a Regional of Burning Man, Burn2 holds several events during the year besides the annual “Big Burn” in October. At these smaller events, we encourage people who have ideas for these smaller events to suggest them and take on the role of the event leads, to guide an event teams to make the events happen. As long as the events are within the framework of the Ten Principles, along with the SL Terms of Service, teams of Burners with various skills to contribute will form and help to make your event happen. Got an idea? Come to one of our planning meetings!
- Burn2 Rangers
A lot of what you see at Burning Man is what you see at BURN2, including Rangers roaming around the playa! Rangers are guardians of the shared values of the Burning Man community. They are empowered by the community to address concerns, mediate disputes, and resolve conflicts if they can not be resolved by the residents themselves and, rarely, respond to non-consensual assaults (griefing). Rangers encourage a community of shared responsibility and assist only as needed. The role of the Ranger has been described as "Riding the Edge of Chaos." Take the Ranger Training! You don’t have to become one, but you will learn a lot about working with the public at events that allow participates to radically express themselves through art and performance.
While one can take the Ranger training to learn skills and understand how Rangers work, there are two requirements for becoming a Burn2 Ranger:
1) You must have been involved as a volunteer at Burn’s events – at least one “Octoburn” event and two of the smaller weekend events, like the Winter Burn, Burnal Equinox, or Conception;
2) A recommendation from a member of the lead staff to train to become a Burn2 Ranger.
Listed below are our many volunteer opportunities for BURN2! Our events are successful because of the hundreds of volunteers who graciously donate their time, patience, energy, and skills, as well as lots and lots of caffeine. Some folks have been volunteering for years, and for others, this will be their first time.
Think you might want to join us? See below what might rock your boat. When you find something you want to do, surf on over to our volunteer application. Didn’t find what you want? If you still want to volunteer, fill out an application anyway – we will help you find your place in BURN2. Experience is not necessarily necessary, you can learn something new while volunteering in BURN2. We are here to help!
Please also see our Principles of Volunteering.
Friendly Faces of BURN2
These are among the first people you meet when you visit BURN2.
Musicians, DJs, live performers and staff who assist them.
These hide in plain sight, continually contributing to the structures in BURN2.
BURN2 Department of Mutant Vehicles
The “drivers” and creators of BURN2’s art cars; impossible for them to hide, even in plain sight!
Creatives of BURN2
Fashionistas bring style to BURN2 events, while machinimists contribute to the visual record of happenings in the community.