Black Rock City May Be Quiet...Burn2's Octoburn Will Not
Burners everywhere (and Everywhere!) turn their attention to the coming annual event, Burning Man, That Thing In The Desert, in Black Rock City, Nevada. But once again this year, it's been cancelled and instead Burning Man is going virtual, August 29th through September 7th. Burn2 will participate in this especially the weekend of September 3rd through 5th. We will also have our traditional, full-on virtual "big Burn" event we call Octoburn, in October.
Burn2 echoes Burning Man's Black Rock City October 8th through17th - including the art theme, which is "The Great Unknown". It's a period of plague and pause. You can read a description of the theme on Burning Man's website.
Think on this theme, and consider what we shall name the regions of Burn2's playa. A bit of news: The size of the Octoburn playa will double this year, from the usual six regions to a total of twelve, including Deep Hole, the year-round home of the Burn2 regional. Yes - you read it right! Twelve regions! And so we are asking our burner community to help us choose 10 names - Deep Hole remains the same and we will once again have a "low rules" region with retains the name, "Anarchy." We'll have more news to share later on!
Burners, put on your thinking top hats, caps, beanies! You can suggest up to ten (10) region names for consideration by the Burn2 planning committee. And as you consider your suggestions, please review these naming guidelines:
- Cannot be a name that is already being used
- Length up to 18 characters, including spaces*
- Three words or less
- Only alphanumeric characters
- Cannot use the name of a real life city
- Cannot use SL, Linden, Linden Lab, Second Life, etc. in the name
- Must be compliant with a G sim rating**
- No real person's name
- Must not violate any trademark right, copyright or other property right
- Vulgarity is NOT permitted (this includes obscenities in any language however spelled; racist, sexist or otherwise derogatory in nature)
- Deadline to submit your region name suggestions is Wednesday, 9th June at 8:00 PM SLT.
*The full name will be prefixed with "BURN2- " so the 18 character limit keeps the name length in compliance with the "less than 26 characters" requirement from Linden Lab.
**While the regions will be Mature rated, the names must comply with G maturity rating.
The Burn2 planning committee reserves the right to alter a name in the event Linden Lab requires us to do so.
Octoburn 2021: The Great Unknown - Call for Region Names