Artists and creative builders are invited - nay, ENCOURAGED - to come and bring the magic to the Burn2 playa at Winter Burn!
DON'T LET "I don't know how to make anything" stop you from learning! We encourage participation and learning by the seat of your pants! We have fellow creatives willing and ready to help you along and coach you. Bring your idea and before you know it, you'll be creating something magical and all your own on a plot at this event. Novice builders can take advantage of our building classes that are always free, given by volunteers in the spirit of the Gifting principle. Please ask about our building workshops. "There are no bystanders, we are all participants".
Established and new, up-and-coming artists alike are enthusiastically invited to come and place their creations on the dusty Deep Hole playa.
Each builder is part of and responsible to the community and fellow participants, to build in a manner that does not adversely affect others.
As with all Burn2 events, performers and artists alike must agree to the following rules for Decommodification as required by the Burning Man organization: No tip jars, no group joiners, no in-chat promotion spam, no club advertising. We do encourage you to enhance your SL profile and direct people there for more information about you.
NOW, THE RULES
In this content, when we say "artist" we are referring to both artists and builders.
It is a fact of life that in any big community there will be some rules to help things run as safely, smoothly, and as fairly as possible for all in the community. For that reason we ask all artists to respect the following:
- Please keep all parts of your build inside your spot. Plots are square, set up in three sizes (described in the sidebar at right) and clearly indicated with plot markers. The maximum height of all plot builds is 30 meters.
- You can visit the Burn2 playa to see the layout. Plot availability is limited because the event is on one sim. Signups are first come, first served.
- Stay within the LI limit for your plot size. Be considerate of your neighbours and the sim with this limit!
- Please, NO commercial or promotional items, and no landmarks or slurls to off-playa locations.
- No items may be set for sale for greater than L$0 (zero lindens).
- Since the largest build plot is 20m x 20m, megaprims and prims larger than your plot size are not allowed. Height limit is 30m for all builds.
- Mesh is allowed, but please use it sparingly.
- No Temp-on-Rez objects.
- Objects that slightly overhang your plot boundary are fine, so long as the overhanging items do not prevent movement under them (make them phantom). They should not encroach on any neighbour's plot. Objects outside the plot boundaries ("MOOP", or "Matter out of Place") may be returned to you - but we will make every effort to first contact you and ask you to make adjustments if needed.
- Please keep texture sizes as low as possible (512x512 or its equivalent) and reuse textures when possible - this makes your build rez quicker and "pop" for visitors.
- Do not use any scripts that require interacting with the region server or external servers/databases, such as scanners, visitor logs, etc. Keep script times to .02ms or less, if possible.
- Minimize the use of lag inducing physical objects.
- Make objects phantom wherever you can. One exception would be an object that is meant to be walked on.
- Use glow sparingly. The effects of glow multiply in an area, so if few sources, strive for a maximum of 0.5, if a lot of glow sources, a total maximum of 0.2. We recognise that as part of the magical ambience there will be glowing items on the playa - simply try to keep it from blinding visitors who come near your plot.
- Lighting should also be kept within the boundaries of your plot wherever possible. Try to keep the brightness and radius so that you accomplish this. If you need assistance, ask one of the event staff to help you.
- NO 11th HOUR BUILDING: Please understand, we are a community! Building alongside each other is a great way to get to know your fellow creatives and make friends! Build deadline is 11pm (23.00) SLT on Wednesday, 29 January 2020. This gives us one day to check all builds and have any needed changes or adjustments made on Thursday, before we open Friday the 31st of January.
- If you do not understand any item stated above, please ask! Not sure about something you want to do on your build? ASK! We love people to be better informed and feel better about what we do and why.
- **After the end of the event, we practice "Leave No Trace" and pack everything back up. This is the responsibility of the builder, do not leave it for us to return items. We like to ask artists to please leave builds in place through the week after the event closes, so visitors can enjoy the builds when things are quieter. The "Leave No Trace" deadline is Sunday 9th February, no later than 12 Noon (12.00) SLT.**
- If your creative vision does not quite fit in with all that is outlined, please call on artist lead ilyra Chardin, or either event lead (Freia Guillaume or Camilla Maskelyne) to discuss ways that this may be achieved.
And, The Guidelines
Burn2 is a virtual continuation of Burning Man, an event that happens yearly in Nevada’s Black Rock Desert on an ancient, dry lake bed. This "playa", as it is called, is ringed by distant mountains and supports little or no animal, insect, or plant life. It is very windy, very dusty, very dry, and very inhospitable. Storms can appear suddenly and out of nowhere. EVERYTHING is trucked in or brought in from hundreds--or even thousands--of miles away. And, when the event is over, EVERYTHING is picked up, and the playa is returned to its natural state as if nothing ever happened. Not a single sequin or twist tie remains.
We have the following GUIDELINES that respect playa aesthetics. We do this to aid in getting into the spirit of being in a desert setting as we have described.
What is the difference between rules and guidelines? The above rules are limitations to which everyone must adhere. Guidelines, however, are suggestions. They are not rules, but if everyone follows them, then it will help with the look and feel of our event. Remember our builders challenge! We ask you to consider the following as the environment within which to exercise your creativity:
- Not digging up the playa, creating mounds of playa, or otherwise harming it environmentally.
- All fires are on burn stands, burn barrels, or somehow contained to not leave burn scars.
- Builds are made of lightweight materials that can be trucked in. Sometimes, they may require many trucks and/or cargo containers, but everything is still trucked in.
- The Black Rock Desert gets magnificent dust storms, lasting hours, or even sometimes days. Build things that won’t get caught by a windstorm and blown away. Use rebar and rope and tie things down securely.
- Tents, shade, sail cloths, poles, scaffolding, porta potties, temp sheds, trailers, Quonset huts, geodesic domes, motorhomes, rental trucks (no logos - but you can parody the logos for humor), bikes, or other temporary structures come down quick and leave no trace.
- The Black Rock Desert is a hostile, barren environment that won’t support grass, lawns, forests, or gardens. Instead, use fake turf and potted trees, or other items that are designed to look manufactured, rather than lifelike. Given the magical setting we have created for this event, the use of magical items and fantasy plants is encouraged.
- If in doubt about anything, ask. Burn2 coordinators may also have textures, building ideas, and other resources available. They are here to help!
- Please request assistance in Burn2 Access group chat if you have any questions or need further information or clarification.
SIGNING UP FOR A PLOT SIGNIFIES YOUR ACCEPTANCE AND COMMITMENT TO COMPLY WITH THESE GUIDELINES WHEREVER POSSIBLE.
Important: Burn2 Event Leads, Artist/Builder Lead, Rangers and designated staff reserve the right to suggest changes, remove or ask for the removal of any build, object, or scripted object that does not fit within the very liberal Ethos and Principles of Burning Man.
AND, A LAST NOTE: These guidelines and rules may be updated at any time, so please remember to check the website often, and any notices sent out to the Burn2 Access group.
CONTACTS FOR QUESTIONS:
Artist Lead: ilyra Chardin
Event Leads: Freia Guillaume and Camilla Maskelyne
All plots are square in shape:
- 5 meters x 5 meters (25sqm), maximum 100 LI
- 10 meters x 10 meters (100sqm), maximum 200 LI
20 meters x 20 meters (200sqm), maximum 300 LI
The maximum height regardless of plot size is 30 meters.
We will make every effort to help you get your preferred size plot - availability of each size is limited.
NOTE: 20x20 meters size is no longer available; all taken.
After you sign up for your art plot, you will be contacted inworld and invited to come to the playa to get your plot.
If you have any questions about the art plots or guidelines, please contact artist lead ilyra Chardin inworld.