Winter Burn 2021
Bubble Gum & Duct Tape
January 29-31, 2021
Artists and creative builders, you are invited to participate in Burn2's Winter Burn event. Get a plot, then create your camp or artistic vision of "what makes things stick together".
If you are a new artist just discovering the art of prim slinging, don't let "I don't know how to make anything" stop you from learning! We encourage participation and learning, sharing knowledge and guiding each other. Fellow creatives will be on hand to help you along and coach you. Novice builders can benefit from workshops hosted by volunteers in the spirit of the Gifting principle.
Established and new, up-and-coming artists alike are enthusiastically invited to bring their creations to the Deep Hole playa.
Each builder is part of and responsible to the community and fellow participants, to build in a manner that does not adversely affect others.
As with all Burn2 events, artists must agree to follow the Decommodification Principle, as required by the Burning Man organization: No tip jars, no group joiners, no in-chat promotion spam, no club advertising. We do encourage you to enhance your SL profile and direct people there for more information about you.
NOW, THE RULES
In this context, when we say "artist" we are referring to both artists and builders.
It is a fact of life that in any big community there will be some rules to help things run as safely, smoothly, and as fairly as possible for all in the community. For that reason we ask all artists to respect the following:
- Please keep all parts of your build inside your designated plot. Plots are square, set up in two sizes (described in the sidebar at right) and clearly indicated with plot markers.
- You can visit the Burn2 playa to see the layout. Plot availability is limited because the event is on one sim. Signups are first come, first served.
- Stay within the LI limit for your plot size (found in the sidebar at right). Be considerate of your neighbours and the sim with this limit!
- NO commercial or promotional items, and no landmarks or slurls to off-playa locations.
- No items may be set for sale for greater than L$0 (zero lindens).
- Since the largest build plot is 25m x 25m, megaprims and prims larger than your plot size are not allowed. Height limit is 25m for for 25m x 25m plots and 20m for 20m x 20m plots.
- Mesh is allowed, but please use it wisely.
- No Temp-on-Rez objects.
- Objects that slightly overhang your plot boundary are fine, so long as the overhanging items do not prevent movement under them (make them phantom). They may not encroach on any neighbour's plot. Objects outside the plot boundaries ("MOOP", or "Matter out of Place") may be returned to you - but we will make every effort to first contact you and ask you to make adjustments if needed.
- Please keep texture sizes as low as possible (512x512 or its equivalent) and reuse textures when possible - this makes your build rez quicker and "pop" for visitors.
- Do not use any scripts that require interacting with the region server or external servers/databases, such as scanners, visitor logs, etc. Keep script times to .02ms or less, if possible.
- Minimize the use of lag inducing physical objects.
- Make objects phantom wherever you can. One exception would be an object that is meant to be walked on.
- Use glow sparingly. The effects of glow multiply in an area, so if few sources, strive for a maximum of 0.5, if a lot of glow sources, a total maximum of 0.2.
- Lighting should also be kept within the boundaries of your plot wherever possible. Keep the brightness and radius so that you accomplish this. If you need assistance, ask one of the event staff to help you.
- NO 11th HOUR BUILDING: Please understand, we are a community! Building alongside each other is a great way to get to know your fellow creatives and make friends! Build deadline is 11pm (23.00) SLT on Wednesday, 27 January 2021. This gives us one day to check all builds and have any needed changes or adjustments made on Thursday, before we open Friday the 29th of January.
- If you do not understand any item stated above, please ask! Not sure about something you want to do on your build? ASK! We love people to be better informed and feel better about what we do and why.
- **After the end of the event, we practice "Leave No Trace" and pack everything back up. This is the responsibility of the builder - do not leave it for us to return items. We like to ask artists to please leave builds in place through the week after the event closes, so visitors can enjoy the builds when things are quieter. The "Leave No Trace" deadline for Winter Burn is Friday the 5th of February, no later than 11 PM (23.00) SLT.**
- If your creative vision does not quite fit in with all that is outlined, please call on placement lead iSkye Silverweb, or the event lead (3V (3vilyn)) to discuss ways that this may be achieved.
On Playa Aesthetics
Burn2 is a virtual continuation of Burning Man, an event that happens yearly in Nevada’s Black Rock Desert on an ancient, dry lake bed. This "playa", as it is called, is ringed by distant mountains and supports little or no animal, insect, or plant life. It is very windy, very dusty, very dry, and very inhospitable. Storms can appear suddenly and out of nowhere. EVERYTHING is trucked in or brought in from hundreds--or even thousands--of miles away. And, when the event is over, EVERYTHING is picked up, and the playa is returned to its natural state as if nothing ever happened. Not a single sequin or twist tie remains.
The following section of these guidelines help to respect playa aesthetics. We do this to aid in getting into the spirit of being in a desert setting as we have described.
What is the difference between rules and guidelines? The above rules are limitations to which everyone must adhere. The guidelines given below are not rules, but if everyone follows them, then it will help with the look and feel of our event. Remember our builders challenge! We ask you to consider the following as the environment within which to exercise your creativity:
- Not digging up the playa, creating mounds of playa, or otherwise harming it environmentally.
- All fires are on burn stands, burn barrels, or somehow contained to not leave burn scars.
- Builds are made of lightweight materials that can be trucked in. Sometimes, they may require many trucks and/or cargo containers, but everything is still trucked in.
- The Black Rock Desert gets magnificent dust storms, lasting hours, or even sometimes days. Build things that won’t get caught by a windstorm and blown away. Use rebar and rope and tie things down securely.
- Tents, shade, sail cloths, poles, scaffolding, porta potties, temp sheds, trailers, Quonset huts, geodesic domes, motorhomes, rental trucks (no logos - but you can parody the logos for humor), bikes, or other temporary structures come down quick and leave no trace.
- The Black Rock Desert is a hostile, barren environment that won’t support grass, lawns, forests, or gardens. Instead, use fake turf and potted trees, or other items that are designed to look manufactured, rather than lifelike. Given the magical setting we have created for this event, the use of magical items and fantasy plants is encouraged.
- If in doubt about anything, ask. Burn2 coordinators may also have textures, building ideas, and other resources available. They are here to help!
- Please request assistance in Burn2 Access group chat if you have any questions or need further information or clarification.
AND, A LAST NOTE: These guidelines and rules may be updated at any time, so please remember to check the website often, and any notices sent out to the Burn2 Access group.
All plots are square in shape:
- 25 meters x 25 meters (625sqm), maximum 250 LI, height 25m
- 20 meters x 20 meters (400sqm), maximum 200 LI, height 20m
We will make every effort to help you get your preferred size plot - availability of each size is limited.
To Get a Plot
- Plots are given first come first served, in the order in which submitted plot signups are received. Availability is limited, so sign up soon!
- You will receive a notecard confirming your signup along with which plot size and location you will have.
- Next you will see an invitation to join the Burn2 Access Group, which will allow you to place your artwork on your plot.
- As soon as you get your builder tag, you can come to the playa and choose a plot as per the notecard you received. Rez a prim on a plot to claim it, or begin building!
SIGNING UP FOR A PLOT SIGNIFIES YOUR ACCEPTANCE AND COMMITMENT TO COMPLY WITH THE GUIDELINES WHEREVER POSSIBLE.
Build Deadline is 11pm (23.00) SLT on Wednesday, 27 January 2021. Plots are checked the following day and if there are any issues you will be called back to resolve them.
Leave No Trace Deadline is Friday, 5 February 2021, 11 PM (23.00) SLT. ALL parts of your build must be cleared from your plot area.
ALSO: Burn2 Event Leads, Rangers and designated staff reserve the right to suggest changes, remove or ask for the removal of any build, object, or scripted object that does not fit within the very liberal Ethos and Principles of Burning Man.
CONTACTS FOR QUESTIONS
Artist Lead: iSkye Silverweb
Event Co-leads: 3V (3vilyn)