Burn2 Conception 2019July 19-21, 2019
Artists and Builders Invited!
Established and new, up-and-coming artists are enthusiastically invited to come and place their creations on the dusty Deep Hole playa.
DON'T LET "I don't know how to make anything" stop you from learning! We encourage participation! We will offer building basics classes to get you started. Bring your idea and before you know it, you'll be creating something magical and all your own on a plot at this event.
Novice builders can take advantage of our building classes that are always free, given by volunteers in the spirit of the Gifting principle. Please ask about our building workshops. "There are no bystanders, we are all participants".
Each builder is part of and responsible to the community and fellow participants, to build in a manner that does not adversely affect others.
The Theme for Conception 2019
The annual event we call Conception is a commemmoration of our roots as a regional of Burning Man, and how this virtual community started and has continued to thrive. We like to use themes for creative direction, and this year it is: "Communal Earth." It’s a concept around the communal effort needed to remember the origin of Earth and for everyone on the planet to preserve and heal it. We remember our roots, the first stirrings of life, and how we got to here from there, and recognize the impact our existence has had on our mother Earth. There is no magic bullet, no single solution to solve all the Earth’s problems. Therefore, it is on all of us, each in our different ways that we can do, to find and apply healing. In the process, we will see that we are all in this together.
Build Guidelines (click here to read)
In addition to the theme vision, PLEASE read and follow the 10 Principles of Burning Man.
It is a fact of life that in any big community there will be some rules to help things run as safely, smoothly, and as fairly as possible for all in the community. For that reason we ask all builders to respect the following:
- Please keep all parts of your build inside your plot, except: where your plot borders touch your neighbours', you are encouraged to work with them to blend your builds a bit, (to create the feel of one giant circular - communal - build). The red bordered squares in the playa layout photo near the top of this page represent the plots for artists. Click to enlarge for a better view.
- Builder spots are sized at 20x20 meters, with a maximum land impact allowed of 200.
- The maximum height is 24 meters, and the build must connect to the ground.
- Builders are encouraged to face their builds inward towards the center plot, if possible.
- NO commercial or promotional items.
- Old-style Megaprims are not allowed.
- Mesh is allowed, but please use it sparingly. Be aware that not everyone uses a viewer which enables them to see Mesh.
- No Temp-on-Rez objects.
- Objects that overhang or are outside of your plot boundary ("MOOP" or "Matter out of Place") may be returned to you. If you have doubts or questions, talk with the artist lead.
- Please keep texture sizes as low as possible (512x512 or its equivalent) and reuse textures when possible - this makes your build rez quicker and "pop" for visitors.
- Do not use any scripts that require interacting with the region server or external servers or databases, such as scanners, visitor logs, etc. Keep script times to .02ms or less, if possible.
- Minimize the use of lag inducing physical objects.
- Make prims phantom wherever you can.
- Use glow sparingly. The effects of glow multiply in an area, so if few sources, a maximum of 0.5, if a lot, a total maximum of 0.2.
- No floating text/hovertext.
- NO 11th HOUR BUILDING!! PLEASE! We are a community - building alongside each other is a great way to get to know people and make friends! Build deadline is 11pm SLT on Wednesday, 17 July 2019. This gives us one day to check all builds and have any needed changes or adjustments made on Thursday, before we open Friday the 19th of July.
If you do not understand why we ask you not to do some of these things, please ask, as we love people to be better informed and feel better about what we do.
**After the event ends, we practice "Leave No Trace" and pack everything back up. This is the responsibility of the builder, do not leave it for us to return items. The "Leave No Trace" deadline is Sunday the 28th of July 2019, no later than 11:00 PM (23.00) SLT.**
If your creative vision does not quite fit in with all that is outlined, please call on Artist/Builder Lead ilyra chardin to discuss ways this may be achieved.
Playa Aesthetics (the beauty and inspiration)
BURN2 is a virtual continuation of Burning Man, an event that happens yearly in Nevada’s Black Rock Desert on an ancient, dry lake bed. This "playa", as it is called, is ringed by distant mountains and supports no animal, insect, or plant life. It is very windy, very dusty, very dry, and very inhospitable. Storms can appear suddenly and out of nowhere. EVERYTHING is trucked in or brought in from hundreds--or even thousands--of miles away. And, when the event is over, EVERYTHING is picked up, and the playa is returned to its natural state as if nothing ever happened. Not a single sequin or twist tie remains.
We have the following GUIDELINES that respect playa aesthetics:
What is the difference between rules and guidelines? The above rules are limitations to which everyone must adhere. Guidelines, however, are suggestions. They are not rules, but if everyone follows them, then it will help with the look and feel of our event. Remember our builders challenge! We will not lecture you on this... we just ask you to consider following as the environment within which to exercise your creativity:
- Not digging up the playa, creating mounds of playa, or otherwise harming it environmentally.
- All fires are on burn stands, burn barrels, or somehow contained to not leave burn scars.
- Builds are made of lightweight materials that can be trucked in. Sometimes, they may require many trucks and/or cargo containers, but everything is still trucked in.
- The Black Rock Desert gets magnificent dust storms, lasting hours, or even sometimes days. Build things that won’t get caught by a windstorm and blown away. Use rebar and rope and tie things down securely.
- Tents, shade, sail cloths, poles, scaffolding, portapotties, temp sheds, trailers, Quonset huts, geodesic domes, motorhomes, rental trucks (no logos - but you can parody the logos for humor), bikes, or other temporary structures come down quick and leave no trace.
- The Black Rock Desert is a hostile, barren environment that won’t support grass, lawns, forests, or gardens. Instead, use fake turf and potted trees, or other items that are designed to look manufactured, rather than lifelike.
If in doubt about anything, ask. BURN2 coordinators may also have textures, building ideas, and other resources available. They are here to help!
Please request assistance in BURN2 Access group chat if you have any questions or need further information or clarification.
If you wish to know the reason for any of the rules or guidelines, ask the Event Leads or your Artist/Builder Lead; they are more than happy to explain.
APPLYING FOR A PLOT SIGNIFIES YOUR ACCEPTANCE AND COMMITMENT TO COMPLIANCE WITH THESE GUIDELINES.
Use the form below to sign up for your (FREE) plot. When accepted, you will be offered a group invitation to the Burn2 Access group and invited to the playa to get your plot.
BURN2 Event Leads, Artist/Builder Lead, Rangers and designated staff reserve the right to suggest changes, remove or ask for the removal of any build, object, or scripted object that does not fit within the very liberal Ethos and Principles of Burning Man.
A LAST NOTE: These guidelines and rules may be updated at any time, so please remember to check the website often, and any notices sent out to the BURN2 Access group.
Contacts for Questions
Event Lead: Herbie Haven
Placement Lead: iSkye Silverweb
Artist / Builder Lead: ilyra chardin
Signups for artist plots have CLOSED. Be sure to come to the event starting Friday through Sunday, 19th-21st of July and visit the installations, enjoy the tunes and participate in the hunt, and more!